STATEMENT OF FAITH
We are a growing, dynamic congregation of men, women, and children who love and serve Jesus Christ. He has graciously brought us together from a variety of different cultural, ethnic, social, and educational backgrounds.
We are an established congregation, with over 30 years of continuous ministry to our community. Senior Pastors Buddy and Beth Davidson, were sent out from the House of Prayer in Colonial Heights, Virginia by their pastor, Stephen Stells, to begin The House of Prayer in Clarksville. They have faithfully served Christ here and God has built this church far beyond what they envisioned. We are confident that God has even greater plans for this congregation, and we are eager to move forward to accomplish His goals!
1. WE BELIEVE in the plenary-verbal inspiration of the accepted canon of the Scriptures as originally given. (II Tim 3:16 and I Cor.2:13).
2. WE BELIEVE in the Eternal Godhead. That God is One and manifests Himself as Father, Son and Holy Ghost. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; II Cor. 13:14 and I Jn. 5:7).
3. WE BELIEVE in the creation, test and fall of man as recorded in Genesis; his total spiritual depravity and inability to attain to Divine righteousness. (Rom. 5:12,18).
4. WE BELIEVE in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Saviour of men, conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, very God and very man. (Lk. 1:26-35; Jn. 1:18 and Isaiah 7:14, & 9:6).
5. WE BELIEVE Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day, and personally appeared to His disciples. (I Cor. 15:1-4 and Rom. 4:25).
6. WE BELIEVE in the bodily ascension of Jesus to heaven, His exaltation, and personal, literal and bodily coming again the second time for the church. (Jn. 14:2-3 and I Thes. 4:13-18).
7. WE BELIEVE in the salvation of sinners by grace, through repentance and faith in the perfect and sufficient work of the cross of Calvary by which we obtain remission of sins through His blood. (Eph. 2:8-9; Heb. 9:12 & 22; and Rom.5:11).
8. WE BELIEVE in the necessity of water baptism by immersion, in the name of Jesus, in order to fulfill the command of Christ. (Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:34-38 and 19:1-6).
9. WE BELIEVE in the baptism of the Holy Spirit as an experience subsequent to the new birth experience, with the scriptural evidence; namely, speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance. (Acts 2:1-4; 8:14-17; 10:44-46 and Gal. 3:14-15).
10. WE BELIEVE in the operation of the gifts of the Spirit as enumerated in I Corinthians 12-14, as manifested in the Early Church.
11. WE BELIEVE in the Scriptural pattern of church government through the ministries of Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers; and in God’s plan for spiritual authority within the Church (Eph. 4:11-16, Heb. 13:17, Titus 1:5 and 1Thes. 5:12-13).
12. WE BELIEVE in the Spirit-filled life, a life of separation from the world and perfecting of holiness in the fear of God as an expression of Christian faith. (Eph. 5:18 and II Cor. 6:14 & 7:1).
13. WE BELIEVE in the healing of the body by Divine power, or Divine healing in its varied aspects as practiced in the Early Church. (Acts 4:30; Rom. 8:11; I Cor. 12:9 and James 5:14).
14. WE BELIEVE in the table of the Lord, commonly called Communion or the Lord's Supper, for believers. (I Cor. 11:23-32).
15. WE BELIEVE in eternal life for believers (Jn. 5:24; 3:16) and eternal punishment for unbelievers (Mk. 9:43- 48; II Thes. 1:9 and Rev. 20:10-15).
16. WE BELIEVE in the reality and personality of Satan and the eternal judgment of Satan and his angels. (Matt.25:41 and Rev. 20:10-15).
17. WE BELIEVE that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Gen. 1:26-27) We believe that Gods disapproves of and forbids any attempt to alter one’s gender by surgery or appearance. (Gen 2:24; Gen 19:5,12; Gen 26:8-9; Lev 18:1-30; Rom 1:26-29; 1 Cor 5:1,6:9; 1 Thes 4:1-8; Heb 13:4.) Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
18 WE BELIEVE that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture and is the only legitimate marriage. (Gen 2:18-25; Gen 2:24; Rom 7:2; 1 Cor 7:10; Eph 5:22-23.) We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4.) We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
19 WE BELIEVE that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, lesbianism, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful perversion of God’s gift of sex and offensive to God. (Matt 15:18-20; 1 Cor 6:9-10.)
20 WE BELIEVE that in order to preserve the function and integrity of The House of Prayer, Clarksville, Virginia as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to The House of Prayer, Clarksville, Virginia members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by The House of Prayer, Clarksville, Virginia in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers, agree to and abide by this Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality. (Matt 5:16; Phil 2:14-16; 1 Thess 5:22.)
21 WE BELIEVE that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19-21; Rom 10:9-10; 1 Cor 6:9-11.)
22 WE BELIEVE that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31.) Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of The House of Prayer, Clarksville, Virginia.
23. WE BELIEVE that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life. (Ps 139.)
24. WE BELIEVE that human life begins at conception and that the unborn child is a living human being. Abortion constitutes the unjustified, unexcused taking of unborn human life. Abortion is murder. We reject any teaching that abortions due to rape, incest, birth defects, gender selection, birth or population control, or the physical or mental well being of the mother are acceptable. (Job 3:16; Ps 51:5; 139:14-16; Isa 44:234; 49:1, 5; Jer. 1:5; 20:15-18; Luke 1:44.)
25. WE BELIEVE that the direct taking of an innocent human life is a moral evil, regardless of the intention. Life is a gift of God and must be respected from conception until natural death. Thus we believe that an act of omission which, of itself or by intention, causes death in order to eliminate suffering constitutes a murder contrary to the will of God. Discontinuing medical procedures that are extraordinary or disproportionate to the expected outcome can be a legitimate refusal of over-zealous treatment. (Ex. 20:13, 23:7; Matt 5:21; Acts 17:28.)
This statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of The House of Prayer, Clarksville, Virginia’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our trustee board is The House of Prayer, Clarksville, Virginia’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.